TIPS TO MAKE YOUR HOME CARE DOLLARS GO FURTHER
Can I afford home care?
It is possible to afford home care even if you are on a fixed budget. Many people are surprised when they realize they can afford home care services.
Below we have listed some resources that may be available to you to help to afford home care. We would encourage you to take advantage of as many as you can.
There several things you should consider when budgeting for home care.
- Government-funded care: You can request that the North Simcoe Muskoka LHIN assess your needs. You may qualify for health and personal support services in your home. You may be eligible for some publicly-funded home care. Simcoe Senior Services is not a contracted care provider of CCAC. However, we will supplement CCAC care and provide further private care that you may feel is necessary for your condition. Spinal cord injured individuals and seniors regularly require additional private care. http://healthcareathome.ca/nsm/en
- Don’t pay HST: When you receive publicly-funded home care, you may be exempt from paying HST when you retain Simcoe Senior Services to supplement publicly-funded home care. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms- publications/publications/gi-166/application-gst-hst-home-care-services.html
- Are you a veteran? If so, you may qualify for the Veteran’s Independence Program. This could give you over $10,000 per year to spend on personal care and home maintenance. Contact us a call for more information. http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/veterans-independence-program
- Apply for the Ontario Senior Homeowners Property Tax Grant. This will help to free up some money to put towards your home care. This could help with personal care, respite care, and companionship care. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/provincial-territorial-programs/ontario-senior-homeowners-property-tax-grant-oshptg-questions-answers.html
- Ask your bank about a reverse mortgage. A reverse mortgage can free up a significant amount of funds to apply to your home care.
- Low income households may be entitled to rebates for energy costs. Such savings could be applied to your home care. https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca/
- Make sure to apply for the Canadian Disability Tax Credit. https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/individuals/segments/tax-credits-deductions-persons-disabilities/disability-tax-credit.html?utm_campaign=not-applicable&utm_medium=vanity-url&utm_source=canada-ca_disability-tax-credit
Ready to find out more?
If you would like more information on home care services in Barrie, let Simcoe Senior Services help. There is no obligation.